Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 29, 2017

One Word for 2018

I gave up on resolutions a long time ago. I knew they were an unrealistic goal for me. When I heard of choosing one word for the year I felt that was much more attainable and grabbed on to the idea with both hands. It was amazing how quickly the Lord gave me a word each year and how He would present it over and over as the months rolled by. I could look back at the end of the year and see what He had taught me surrounding the word that He had handpicked just for me. It isn't hard if you keep your mind and heart open and listen to what He is trying to tell you and teach you. In 2013 my word was "intentional". I knew that I needed to be more intentional with my family and my walk with the Lord. In 2014 my word was "revive". I felt a deep need for revival in my life. I desired to see the Lord in all that I did and in my daily life. In 2015 my word was "selah". My soul longed for pause. I wanted to stop and reflect on the Lord and the people in my life. In 2016 my word was "enough". I wanted to be satisfied with all that I had. My home, my husband, my kids, my car, my life. I wanted the comparison game to be gone. I wanted what I had to be enough. In 2017 my word was "sacrifice". I wanted to make the choice to sacrifice my time and needs to be with others. I have really grown the last few years with these words and the lessons that I have been taught through them. Sometimes I have failed with them and not allowed the Lord to teach me all that He has tried to as quickly as He has tried. Later, as I have looked back, I have seen exactly what He was doing. Maybe the lessons weren't for me at that time but at another. Sometimes, we learn our greatest lessons by looking back on our past mistakes.

I have been praying for the last few weeks for a word for 2018. The same one keeps coming to me so I know it is the one. It will be engaged. I love the meanings I found of engaged. Engaged means:
  1. Cause someone to become involved in (a conversation or discussion)
  2. Participate or become involved in
  3. Establish a meaningful contact or connection with
Words that mean the same as engaged are: secure, commit, participate, embark on. As I was looking up the different synonyms of engaged I also looked at the antonyms of engaged. They are shun, let go, neglect, offend.

To be engaged means I want to connect with people. I want to have meaningful conversations. I want to participate and become involved in the lives of others, even when it may be tough. I want to help and serve others. I don't want to be in my comfortable bubble but rather out with others, serving, loving and engaging. I want to live my life in a meaningful way. My life isn't about me. God did not put me here to be about me but rather to love others and engage with others to show His love to them. I pray that is exactly what 2018 is all about!


No comments:

Post a Comment